Last month we started talking about running barefoot. Today we look at the benefits, burdens and alternative.
Running Barefoot (from Vibram “Five Fingers“)
The benefits of running barefoot have long been supported by scientific research, coaches, and athletes who’ve offered ample evidence that training without shoes allows you to run faster and farther with fewer injuries.
Motion studies demonstrate that when running barefoot, one naturally lands on the forefoot, directly below your center of gravity. This results in optimum balance, increased stability, less impact, and greater propulsion. According to Dr. Ivo Waerlop of the Vibram Biomechanics Advisory Board, “Running in FiveFingers improves agility, strength, and equilibrium, plus it delivers sensory feedback that allows runners to make immediate corrections in their form. This greatly improves running efficiency.”
No footwear comes closer to recreating the experience and natural sensation of running barefoot than Vibram® FiveFingers. It delivers all the health and performance benefits of barefoot running—with less the risk of injury. Our patented Vibram® sole acts like a second skin to protect you from elements and obstacles, so you can reap the rewards of barefoot running.
As with any new sport or activity, Vibram recommends you consult your physician or a medical professional to see if natural running in FiveFingers is right for you. It may not be appropriate for people with severe pronation or supination.
Vibram Five Finger Sprint shoes. There are 4 that are useful from the company. You can find them here: Bikila, KSO, Sprint, Flow
- Jumping on the Barefoot Bandwagon (marksdailyapple.com)
- Vibram Five Fingers Review (walking-running-training.suite101.com)
- David Willey: Barefoot Running: The Exercise Craze That’s Hit the Streets (huffingtonpost.com)
- Barefoot Running Causes Less Impact for Runners (walking-running-training.suite101.com)
- Orlando Area Barefoot Run to Benefit Cancer Center (prweb.com)
- Vibram FiveFingers Running Shoe May Alter Future O – Harbin, Heilongjiang, China (travelpod.com)
- Barefoot Running: 5 Ways to Do It Right (health.usnews.com)
- The Benefits of Barefoot Running (becomeabetteruin365days.wordpress.com)